A garage door opener, a motorized device, is used to open or close a garage door. Different types of garage door openers are in the market now with various types of criteria. You can choose your own according to your preference.
Can the garage door opener be mounted off-center? Yes, your garage door opener can be mounted off-center if you have a door with a torsion spring. If you have the door with an extension spring, your garage door opener may not work properly when it’s off-center.
In this article, I’m going to give you information about the garage door off-center and other related topics.
What Causes The Garage Door Opener To Be Off Center?
There are many causes for the garage door opener to be off-center. To avoid lifting the door unevenly, the opener should be centered.
One reason for the garage door opener to be off-centered is a weak spring on one side. Also, it can be caused because of stretching of one of the cables or slipping at an attachment point.
Another reason for the situation is one stretched spring which is not capable of pulling its weight as much as the other spring. Using a new spring can also cause the garage door opener to be off-centered as it’s not set at the same tension as the other one.
What Happens When You Mount Garage Door Opener Off Center?
When the garage door opener is off-center, it can cause damage to the garage door sometimes. The disturbance caused by the garage door opener when it’s off-center is given below-
- Your garage door may not open more than 6 inch
- You can face problems lifting the garage door manually or it can be completely shut
- While opening the garage door, you can hear grinding or squealing sound
- Your garage door can make a sudden loud bang
- Because of the damage to the spring, the garage door creates an unsafe environment falling quickly.
Can You Mount A Garage Door Opener Slightly Off Center?
There is a misconception about mounting the garage door off-center. It’s not necessary to mount the garage door completely off-center. It can be mounted slightly off-center.
You can mount the standard garage door openers on the wall vertically while the jackshaft may be in the right way. So a slight angle is equally okay for a garage door opener.
95% of the work mainly depends on the appropriately adjusted spring tension. You can also choose Martin finger shield garage door systems as it allows center, off-center or side mounting for a safer and also more attractive opener installation.
Can You Mount Chamberlain Garage Door Opener Off Center?
To ensure the safety of your house, you can use chamberlain garage door openers as it is a very popular garage door opener nowadays. Also, installing a garage door opener gives you great comfort as you don’t need to open your door manually.
You can mount the chamberlain garage door off-center because there is allowance up to 4 feet off center for many Chamberlain openers.
Can You Install Garage Door Opener When Bracket Is Off Center?
There are six brackets in a door kit. These brackets are equally important for installing a garage door perfectly.
Among the six brackets, the end brackets are for the rods. Each rod needs two brackets and these have to mount at each corner of the door.
The remaining two brackets have to mount in the center which is between each pair of end brackets; one at the top center and another at the bottom center. These all are needed to reduce sagging.
To install a garage door perfectly, all six brackets have to be bolted in place to feed the long flexible rods through their respective end brackets. The center of the rods needs to rest in a slot in its own center bracket.
The pressure is exerted in the middle of the door because the middle bracket is longer than the end brackets and tension is increased at the end of each rod.
You can hang things off garage door support brackets using utility hooks. With drywall screws, attach utility hooks to the inside of the door and then you may hang things off the garage door on the hooks.
There are basically three best installation ways to hang garage door opener mounting brackets. Track installation, wall installation, floor installation.
Among these installation ways, in my sense wall installation may be best. Wall installation is recommended when your door track may not support the bracket.
Garage door opener mounting brackets are must on fiberglass, plastic, nylon, steel, aluminum, and Carriage house doors. As it’s a very necessary part to install the garage door properly, I can say that mounting brackets may come with garage door openers.
How Far Off Center Can Garage Door Opener Be?
A maximum range to work garage doors remotes is around 3 to 5 car lengths or around 50 feet.
This range is perfect for a remote to work when you pull into the driveway, but it’s not enough actually to cause issues.
Why Does Garage Door Opener Have To Be Mounted In Center Of Door?
The garage door opener has to be mounted in the center of the door so that you can install and maintain the door properly. The benefits of garage door openers in the center are given below-
- If you install a garage door opener perfectly it’ll help you lower the door on time.
- When you install the garage door in the center, it has built-in safety features.
- Proper installation of garage doors openers can work even during power outages.
- If you install the garage door in the center, the remote of your door will work perfectly.
Installing a garage door opener off center is not allowed or safe for all situations. Sometimes it’s not a big headache installing a garage door off-center, but sometimes and in conditions, it can be.
It’s very important to install a garage door opener by consulting and hiring an experienced and knowledgeable garage door technician to make sure that your door is safe for your home and family.
How Do You Fix An Off-Center Garage Door?
To fix an off-center garage door, you have to follow the following steps:
- Step 1: In the first step, you have to use three tools. These are vice grips, sockets or a wrench, and two winding bars. You also should Keep in mind not to use your own winding bars. Remember, you should not use screwdrivers, because it causes serious injury.
- Step 2: Now, you have to leave the tension on the springs. You don’t need to get all the tension off. Then you have to loosen the struts from both sides. Then you will see that the door is completely down.
- Step 3: Then you need to loosen the cable drum on one side of the torsion tube using your vice grips. Make sure that the cable doesn’t have any tension on it.
- Step 4: Now you have to go over to the other side of the torsion tube and tighten up the cable drum. As a result, you will get the tension back on. Next, tighten up the cable drum that you loosened in Step 3.
- Step 5: Then you have to reset the tension on the spring on both sides. You don’t have to over-tighten it. Just get it half turned, when it’s already tight.
- Step 7: Check if the door is balanced again.
One thing you should remember is that you shouldn’t fix your garage door if you don’t have enough experience. You should contact a professional to fix your garage door.
What Are The Challenges Of Fixing A Garage Door Opener That Is Off Center?
If you don’t properly follow the steps of fixing a garage door opener that is off-center, you can face many challenges. Some challenges might be-
- You can face problems using the new spring if it doesn’t set the same tension.
- While fixing the garage door opener, you can find your remote control may not respond.
- You can find that your wall switch is not responding properly.
- Your garage door may reverse before closing.
- The garage door may not close perfectly.
Does The Rail Have To Be Level On A Garage Door Opener?
If you want your garage door to work perfectly then you have to set the rails of the door at an exact position.
The rail has to be at an angle of 90 degrees on a garage door opener. It’s necessary because it causes the garage door to collide at the time of opening.
An improper angle of the door arms causes the rail to bow up. If the rail bows up, this can cause unnecessary stress on the door and opener.
How Much Clearance Does A Garage Door Opener Need?
When it comes to the ceiling during the up and down moment, you can need a minimum of 2 inches of clearance above the garage door.
Also, you may need a minimum of 10 feet back from the front wall which is the place of the opener’s support station.
Suggested Materials You May Need
#1 ZhenT Torsion Spring : (Recommended Spring For Your Garage Door)
If you want to mount your garage door off-center perfectly, then I would like to suggest you use a ZhenT Torsion Spring for your garage door. The reasons behind using this particular torsion spring are many.
One of the main reasons is that torsion springs are easy to install. When you use any tools to mount your garage door, you have to make sure that you are able to install the spring following the safest procedures.
Because if there is anything lacking to mount it, your garage door will not work properly and it can get hampered sometimes.
The other reason to suggest the spring is that you must get stationary and winding cones with it.
Over To You
Installing a garage door is a very sensitive issue to ensure the safety and security of a business or individuals. You have to make sure that you have enough knowledge to install your garage door on your own. Otherwise, it can cause serious damage.
In the article, I have tried my best to help you by giving information about garage door openers and about if you can install a garage door opener off-center. I hope you can relate to your problem easily and be able to solve it using the information.
Also, you can share other information about the garage door opener being off-centered that I have not included here. I must try to add your given information so that other readers can find it helpful.
Feel free to share your experience and comment if you are satisfied. Thanks for reading!